Monday 29 April 2013

Poem Recital

In the midst of having so much fun exploring Ireland I also was busy learning the finer points of memorizing a poem. I never knew that a simple poem could actually be so difficult to memorize! I would find myself getting one line right only to stumble the next line or so. It finally came to the end of the Literature class and we were required to present the poem of our choice in front of the class. I chose to present "To an Isle in the Water." by William Butler Yeats The poem reads:


Shy one, shy one,
Shy one of my heart,
She moves in the firelight
Pensively apart.
 
She carries in the dishes,
And lays them in a row.
To an isle in the water
With her would I go.
 
She carries in the candles,
And lights the curtained room,
Shy in the doorway
And shy in the gloom;
 
And shy as a rabbit,
Helpful and shy.
To an isle in the water
With her would I fly.


Our class had a really cool idea in that we decided to have a potluck dinner and then recite our poems over delicious food. I decided to bring a carrot cake to share and it was delicious! What was perhaps the most delicious part of the meal was the traditional Irish meal that Dr. Reed made! That was one of my first times eating a traditional meal while in Ireland and it was delicious!!



No comments:

Post a Comment