Monday 15 April 2013

Ireland Welcomes You

On February 28, 2013 my life would forever change. After so much excitement for nearly a year about the possibility of studying abroad in Ireland it finally had become a reality. I packed 46 pounds of clothing, a carry on bag, and a pack that would last me for two and a half months. This was all that I had left of what I knew as I would be leaving my beloved homeland for an over 3,000 mile journey to a northern island which seemed so far. After many unsettling nerves, excitement, bouts with exhaustion, and two plane rides I was finally in my new home.

Upon taking my first breaths of Irish air I instantly knew this place was just too cool. I recall the long trek to the bus which seemed nearly endless as I was carrying far too many articles of clothing literally on my back. When we got to the bus I could not help but stare at cars that were completely backwards from that which I was used to. It literally blew my mind that someone could drive on what would be the passenger side of a car in virtually every other corner of the world. After my initial shock with regards to the cars (which has still not gone away) I settled into a cozy Irish breakfast. I instantly noticed that this food was similar yet worlds away from what I was used to eating. I recall eating a lot of bread, drinking a lot of coffee and looking at the black and white pudding with much confusion.

That day we also had the pleasure of going on our first castle and church tours. That would only be the start of our adventures throughout southern Ireland exploring all that is left of the past. After exploring Kilkenny we made it down to Dungarvan where I anxiously anticipated a nice shower (must turn on the immersion to get hot water)  and a bed as although I did well fighting the jet lag was rather exhausted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment