Monday 13 May 2013

Lindsey and Sarah Take on London

Shortly after being accepted into the study abroad program in Ireland I knew that I wanted to go to London, England. London is one of those tourist destinations that is on most people's bucket lists and for good reason. My friend Sarah and I decided to go to London about three weeks prior to the date we left. We quickly went onto the RyanAir website and found roundtrip tickets for a very affordable price. In fact, I do not think that I will ever be able to say I went to London for that cheap again. We left for the Dublin airport on a Thursday morning and arrived in London that evening. The Gatwick Airport is quite a bit outside of the city so we boarded a train and headed in. Our first stop in London was the famous King's Cross where we then took the Underground to Holborn. After a bit of wondering around Holborn looking for our hostel we finally found it next to the British Museum! 

The hostel was very cool, and not nearly as scary as I thought it may be. We were in a room with six other people that we did not know. This was the first time that I stayed in a hostel on my own. All of the individuals were very friendly. We got to meet people from all over the world! All in all, I am very glad to have said that I got the opportunity to do so. After a short time of visiting we headed for bed as we had London to tackle in the morning!

Our first stop bright and early in London was Abbey Road. Yes, the Abbey Road! I did not know that not only is the road fully functioning but quite busy! It was a challenge to get a good picture of us posing across the road and not holding up traffic. Not to mention, there were a plethora of other tourists with the same idea. After some time and a lot of patience we finally got some great pictures! Also while on Abbey Road we had the chance to see the recording studio along with the graffiti wall outside of the studio. This sight could turn anyone into a real Beatles fan!

After exploring Abbey Road we then took the Underground one stop where we got off on Baker Lane to see where Sherlock Holmes was filmed! This is a picture from inside of the underground station where the film was shot: 
Then we went to what was perhaps my favorite part of London and that was Notting Hill Gate. Notting Hill Gate is the sight of my favorite film Notting Hill! I was very excited to see not only the sights from the movie like the bookshop and tattoo parlor but that much like in the movie there is a market on the streets. This market is home to endless vendors selling very unique things. I had a great time walking up and down Portobello Lane!!

No comments:

Post a Comment